A common dental concern we treat is yellow teeth. Even though this is not a threat to your oral health, it can negatively affect people and lead to embarrassment. Thanks to modern dentistry, there are many treatments that can address teeth stains or yellow teeth to boost a patient’s self-esteem and confidence level. Dr. Josh Heinsheimer and his team can treat yellow teeth in Leland, NC using one of our several cosmetic dentistry treatment options.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
Yellow teeth can be the result of many things. It is an inconvenient side effect of several things including:
- Smoking: Smokers or people who use any type of tobacco will experience yellow teeth over time.
- Certain Beverages and Food: Dietary choices such as coffee, tea, red wine, and dark-colored foods such as pasta sauces or berries can lead to yellow teeth if consumed in excess.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Not properly caring for your teeth by brushing and flossing every day will allow plaque and tartar to build up on teeth, which can result in discoloration over time.
- Aging: As people age, the outer enamel layer of teeth can wear down, revealing the naturally yellow dentin layer beneath it.
- Genetics: Some people are simply more prone to getting yellow teeth because they naturally have thicker or more yellow dentin.
- Medications: Certain medications, like tetracycline antibiotics, can cause tooth discoloration when taken during the adolescent years of life.
- A Dental Injury: Trauma to a tooth can damage the enamel and dentin, potentially leading to discoloration.
- Too Much Fluoride: Taking in too much fluoride during tooth development (fluorosis) can result in discolored teeth.
- Certain Medical Conditions: Some systemic health conditions, such as jaundice and certain rare metabolic disorders, can cause yellowing of the teeth.
Types of Tooth Stains
There are two main types of tooth discoloration: intrinsic stains and extrinsic stains. Intrinsic stains are located inside the tooth cavity. Sometimes it is because there is damage to pulp like after an injury to a tooth. Excessive fluoride and taking certain kinds of medications can also lead to this type of stain.
Extrinsic stains, on the other hand, are located on the outside of the tooth. This is what causes yellow teeth. This type of stain is located on the surface of the tooth. In most cases, professional tooth whitening will drastically improve the appearance of yellow teeth. These types of stains are due to lifestyle habits. Smoking, chewing tobacco, consuming certain foods and drinks, or failing to take good care of your teeth can lead to extrinsic stains.
Treatment for Yellow Teeth in Leland, NC
In addition to these dental treatments, we suggest visiting your dentist regularly. You should also maintain a proper oral hygiene at home and a proper diet.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: This is an easy and affordable cosmetic dentistry treatment that can help tackle yellow teeth. However, in most cases, professional teeth whitening cannot treat intrinsic stains, only extrinsic stains. We offer both in-office and take home whitening kits for your convenience. A professional tooth whitening treatment can be customized to meet your needs. It is more effective than any store bought whitening treatment and is much safer.
- Permanent Dental Treatments: For difficult stains or intrinsic stains, we also offer several permanent treatments. This includes porcelain veneers, dental crowns, and teeth bonding. These types of treatments offer more permanent options to hide dark and discolored teeth. Patients can opt for one of these treatments if their yellow teeth cannot be treated with professional teeth whitening.
Call Waterford Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today at 910-519-1624 to book a consultation to learn more about our treatments for yellow teeth in Leland, NC. You can also request an appointment online by filling out the form.